Article by Jason K Lum
Controlling cholesterol values has gained importance in every individual’s life in recent times. This is due to the high risk factor associated with heart related diseases. Hence maintaining the ratio between HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol through cholesterol lowering diet has become extremely vital.
How to find a cure for elevated cholesterol levels?
LDL (low density lipoprotein), better known as ‘bad’ cholesterol, is instrumental in increasing the risk of coronary diseases. But HDL (high density cholesterol) or ‘good’ cholesterol has proven to reduce the risk associated with heart diseases. Cholesterol values can be determined through blood lipid tests as elevated cholesterol do not show any prominent symptoms. Around 80% of cholesterol is naturally synthesized in your body through the liver and the rest of it is obtained through dietary means. Hence it is extremely crucial to eat a well balanced and low fat diet.
A limited amount of cholesterol is used by your body to produce vitamins, hormones, bile and for cell formation. The excess of LDL cholesterol moving in your blood tends to accumulate and form cholesterol plaques around the blood vessel. This blocks the blood flow causing a threat of heart attack, stroke or coronary artery disease. The HDL cholesterol avoids the formation of plaques and carries the piled cholesterol back to the liver for restoration. Hence balancing the ratio of LDL and HDL through cholesterol lowering diet is extremely essential for a healthy body.
How can you control your cholesterol levels through dietary means?
Cholesterol count can increase drastically when you consume foods that contain excess of saturated fat. Foods that are rich in fiber, starch, plant sterols or stanols, vitamins, minerals, etc., can work wonders with your cholesterol levels. Ageing can naturally elevate the cholesterol values for men as well for women. Food diet that promotes lowering of LDL level and increasing of HDL level are most apt for controlling cholesterol.
Here is the cholesterol lowering diet which can help you lower your LDL level and increase your HDL level:
- Lentils, pulses and beans are very high in fiber and proteins and low in fat. Lecithin found in these foods helps you lower cholesterol values. They can be had in soups, stews or plain boiled. This is an extremely healthy diet to have, even if your cholesterol count show normal.
- Oat bran, barley, apples, pears, carrots, berries, etc., have high content of fiber. You can eat them plain or you can have it as cereal. Daily consumption of these foods can increase your fiber intake.
- Garlic can be added as a condiment or can be had plain. Garlic has blood thinning properties and contains allicin which reduces the LDL cholesterol effectively. Daily consumption of a single pod of garlic can be used to eliminate, excess of cholesterol.
- Cholesterol lowering diet consisting of nuts like walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, etc. and fish such as tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerels, etc., are naturally high in omega-3 fatty acid which reduces the blood cholesterol significantly. Even monounsaturated oils such as soybean, canola, olive, etc., are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Foods such as sesame seeds, lettuce, strawberries, spinach, ginger, tomatoes, asparagus, etc., are rich in phytosterols, which helps in lowering the LDL levels substantially.
If you have been diagnosed with high cholesterol then it is sensible to avoid deep fried foods, dairy products, foods high in saturated or trans fats, etc. If your diet includes fiber foods, fruits, vegetables, you can tremendously benefit in the long run. There are various natural supplements to help you lower your cholesterol levels and they can be procured online.
With regular exercising and cholesterol lowering diet you can surely have a healthy and robust heart.
About the Author
It’s good that you have read so far, that means you have a will to take action!!!Want to know more about Cholesterol Lowering Diet ?Read our well informative and FREE report on Cholesterol lowering diet and more.I’m sure you will benefit as much as we did.
GoArticles.com © 2012, All Rights Reserved.
Lowering Cholesterol: 50 Simple Ways To Get Your Cholesterol Down Naturally and Dramatically Improve Your Health (Volume 1) [Paperback]
In her new book, Health Expert Lisa Lee reveals a Healthy Cocktail of 50 Cholesterol Lowering Foods and lifestyle choices which can help to lower your Cholesterol levels significantly, without the use of drugs. Inside, you will discover how elevated Cholesterol levels are a major risk factor for health — they are conducive to heart attack, stroke and atherosclerosis — and why it is critical that you understand how to eat well, diet properly and above all start taking action to maintain and improve your health. I this easy-to-understand book, Lisa reveals how Cholesterol and heart disease risk can be easily controlled by a specific Cholesterol Lowering Diet which, when combined with lifestyle changes, can also aid and Improve Bowel Function, help you Lose Weight and Improve your Immune System. If you want to know the Secrets to getting your Cholesterol Down, then this book is for you!