Matcha, also called Maccha, is Japanese name for fine quality Green tea powder. Matcha is the special tea that is traditionally used in Japanese tea ceremony. These days, it is also used in untraditional ways, such as to dye and flavor various foods such as mochi, soba noodles, green tea ice cream and a variety of wagashi as well as in matcha lattes and other green tea recipes.
The preparation of matcha starts several weeks before harvest by covering tea plants with bamboo mats to prevent direct sunlight and to increase the chlorophyll content. After harvesting, the leaves are processed to obtain only the meat part of the leaf. The stems and veins are removed. The pure dried leaves are then stone ground into a super fine talc-like powder. It takes one hour to grind somewhat less than 40g of matcha and the final weight of product is only 10% of the raw tea leaves.
Matcha is highly valued for its rich supply of antioxidants and other health benefits of green tea. Researches have shown that antioxidants help to fight free radicals, which are a natural consequence of cell metabolism in the body. Polyphenols, Catechins and Theanine found in the green tea help in preventing of heart disease, inhibiting the growth of various types of cancer cells, reducing LDL cholesterol and suppressing the chemicals in the body that trigger the constriction of blood vessels, and help the brain produce more alpha waves, which make it effective against tension and stress and it increases mental focus and improves concentration. With matcha, the actual tea leaf is consumed, which gives higher concentrations of catechins and vitamins, resulting in greater benefits to your body than traditional teas, with which only the steep off tea leaves is consumed.
Matcha Green Tea
Measure a heaping teaspoon, place it into a Japanese ceramic bowl, add enough water for one cup and whisk it until frothy. Whip it until any small lumps of tea are completely broken up. You can enjoy your Matcha either as “thick tea” called koicha (less water) or usucha (“thin tea”, more water). It’s best to drink it straight from the bowl before the sediment has a chance to settle to the bottom.
Add 1 teaspoon of Matcha to 6 ounces of hot water and with a bamboo whisk until you see fine bubbles. Pour into a glass filled with ice cubes.
Iced Matcha Latte
1) Add 1 teaspoon of Matcha into a ceramic bowl, add just a few sips of hot water and whisk it until frothy.
Whip it until you see the mixture becomes uniform and small lumps of tea are completely broken up. Add some honey or vanilla syrup, if you prefer sweet taste. Slowly whisk the choice of milk or plain soymilk into the mixture. Then pour over ice.
2) 4 teaspoons matcha powder; 12 oz. milk. Shake with ice in cocktail shaker.
Hot Matcha Latte
for a 12 oz latte, use 3 teaspoons matcha latte powder; mix with about 10 oz. hot milk.
3-4 teaspoons matcha powder, 1 large scoop of ice cream, milk or ice, mixed in electric blender.
Matcha Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream, 2 cups milk, 1 cup unprocessed cane sugar, 2 heaping teaspoon Matcha, 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Whisk the Matcha with the milk and sugar, until the matcha mixture becomes uniform. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Chill the ice cream in the refrigerator
Matcha for weight control
Add 1 teaspoon of Matcha to 200 ml of water or reduced fat milk and with a bamboo whisk until you see fine bubbles. Drink 3 times a day about 1-2 hours before meals.
Fresh made apple juice mix with small amount (adjust for your taste) of Matcha. Drink twice a day before breakfast and dinner.
Mix of 1 teaspoon of matcha and lemon powder with 250 ml warm water. Drink after meal.
Matcha for beauty
- Take small amount matcha mix with little water, rub on the face as an all natural facial cleanser or facial scrub to remove make-up, clean out the oil and dirty. Great for Sensitive, irritated skin.
- Mix with olive oil to make it a home made anti-wrinkle treatment.
- Mix into Shampoo, or directly apply to scalp for a gentle, yet effective cleanser.
- Mix with Toothpaste, or just directly apply to teeth and brush for a healthy, cleaner teeth and gum.
For more info on these products, click on the names below:
- Ujinotsuyu Matcha Hagoromo Green Tea Powder – 1.41 Oz (40 G)
- Vita Life – Matcha Green Tea Powder – 10.58 Oz
- Ume-En – Instant Sweet Matcha Green Tea Powder – 10.5 Oz
- Ujinotsuyu – Genmai Cha Sencha Blended with Matcha Loose Tea – 7.05 Oz
- Ujimoritoku Ryokucha Sencha with Matcha – 27 Tea bags